How many of you have tried to make Spanish rice on the stove top? Unfortunately, for me even after being taught by a Mexican woman, a family friend, how to make it on the stove I could NEVER get it cook. It was ALWAYS still crunchy! So, when my mom bought me my favorite kitchen appliance, next to my Kitchen Aid mixer, I thought I should try to make it in there!! How pleased was I to find that it turned out PERFECT on the first try!! I will never go back to making it any other way!
In our family, we definitely do Taco Tuesday night which we make my turkey tacos. Also, I usually will make a big batch of refried beans so we can have a full meal. These are some of my tried and true recipes! Since I use my pressure cooker a lot I will usually make things in advance to break up having to clean it in between! Also, if you are short on time all three of these recipes are quite easy to make ahead and reheat for a quick dinner.
As you will notice in the pictures I used my mother in laws pressure cooker by Cuisine Art. I did this just to show that you don’t have to own an Instant Pot brand pressure cooker. The instructions should be the same across the board.
You will put the oil, rice, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in the pressure cooker on sauté. You will want to keep it moving so it doesn’t burn. Wait for the rice to turn white then add the chicken bouillon, water, and tomato sauce. Close up the pressure cooker and set it for high pressure for 18 minutes. Your patience will be rewarded with yummy, fluffy and flavorful rice.
I love using my Instant Pot what other recipes would you like to have me test out and post for your consumption?
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 2 tbsp oil, (olive, vegetable, canola or whatever your favorite is)
- 1/2 medium onion, red or yellow
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 oz
- 1 tbsp chicken bouillon
- Turn the pressure cooker to sauté. Then put in the pressure cooker the rice, oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. You will notice the rice is translucent, once the rice has been frying for a few minutes you will notice it turn white. You are waiting for all the rice to turn white, this will take 5-7 minutes. Once the rice is white add in the water, tomato sauce and chicken bouillon. Bring the mixture to a boil then place the lid on the pressure cooker and set the valve to pressure. You will need to hit the cancel button to cancel out the sauté function and then hit the manual button and set it to high pressure for 18 minutes. Once it is done cooking use the quick release and unplug the pressure cooker. Fluff the rice and serve hot! Enjoy!
- This can be made ahead and reheated. Put desired amount in a microwave safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel for 30-90 seconds, depending on amount and microwave.