How many of you ever look up all the random “holidays” that our country has decided to celebrate throughout the year? Well, in anticipation for my next post I looked up some and came to find that July 30th is National Cheesecake Day! Umm, YES please!
Have you ever gone through Sam’s or Costco and seen the mini cheesecake bites? And subsequently, really wanted to buy them but felt they were too expensive or too much of a guilty pleasure? I definitely have! Growing up my mom would always make cheesecake for special occasions and in my opinion its one of the best out there! (Maybe I’m biased!)
My mom is now retired but while she was working she was a director of transportation for a school district. She had about 25 drivers that reported to her. Every year my mom would give them gifts at Christmas and one year she decided we would make TWENTY FIVE, yes 25, of these cheesecakes! We would bake a few each night and then hand deliver them to each driver’s house individually! I’m not sure her driver’s understood the dedication and care she put into her job! All this to say I still really enjoy this cheesecake recipe. I have had many friends and new family members fall in love with it too!
Now a couple months ago my husband and I wanted to buy those cheesecake bites at Sam’s. However, we decided we could use my mom’s recipe and freeze them ourselves! So instead of using a springform pan we used a 15″ x 10″ glass baking dish. After they had cooled I cut them into little squares. We then put a small piece of parchment paper between each piece, and put them in an air-tight container. And so we wouldn’t eat them all at once, we then put them into the freezer.
So here’s the recipe!
What silly “holiday” is your favorite to celebrate? Let me know I’d love to hear about some more!
- 1 1/2 Cups Cinnamon Graham Crackers (1pkg)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 pound Cream Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 2 Cups Sour Cream
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°. Either break up graham crackers into grainy sand like consistency or use a food processor. Mix together graham crackers, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Then in your pan of choice (spring form or 15" x 10" glass baking dish) press crust into the bottom of the pan to form a solid crust. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, in the food processor mix together the cream cheese, sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond. Slowly pour the mix on top of the crust and put in the oven for 35 minutes or until the center is not giggly.
- While the filling is baking mix together the sour cream, sugar, vanilla and almond. Once the filling is done baking remove the cheesecake and turn the oven up to 500°. Slowly pour the topping on top and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes or until not giggly. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Do not cut until it is cooled.
- Our family likes it best once it has been chilled in the refrigerator. You can also top with your favorite topping (i.e.-cherries, strawberries, drizzled chocolate, or your favorite candy bar pieces)